I made this dress a few weeks ago and am finally getting around to sharing it. I made it from some old fabric I bought at a thrift store about 6 years ago.  I don’t usually wear orange, but I like the print and it felt like it was screaming to be a dress of some sort.

I was going for the Heather Ross Mendocino Sundress, but I knew that I wouldn’t like the shirring all the way around (causing the very unflattering uni-boob). I know this because I tried a store made version of this sundress and didn’t like it. SouleMama talks about this problem here.  So I made some modifications that I was hoping would help. I think it did.

Instead of shirring all the way around, I did about 4 rows all the way around, then back and forth down the back another 12 rows, then all the way around again for another 4 rows.  I also shirred the straps so they would be stretchy and stay in place better, which they do.

Next I want to make this really cute top.

This entry was posted in Clothing, Sewing. Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to sundress

  1. Jennifer says:

    Very cute! Great modification!

  2. Alexandra says:

    I love it!!!

  3. Monique says:

    It’s adorable! I haven’t been able to master shirring… 🙁 But this is just great!

  4. angela says:

    I love that dress! Orange is my favorite color…and those flowers are fabulous. Thanks for sharing your non-uni-boob modifications! Shirred straps-genius!

  5. I really like how the dress turned out. And the orange is really pretty. 🙂

  6. beki says:

    Very cute! I think these mods just might work for me 🙂

Comments are closed.