I had a great time at the World Breastfeeding Week fair here in Tucson today. Great information, live music, door prizes, food, boob cookies, lots of beautiful women and babies.
* Save a million lives by breastfeeding. American Academy of pediatrics states that postnatal infant mortality decreased by 21% in breastfed infants.
* 3.6 million dollars could be saved annually (for the health care system alone) if we met the following goals(Healthy People 2010): 75% women initiate breastfeeding, 50% breastfeed to 6 months, 25% breastfeed to 12 months.
* It is better for the mommy, baby and the environment.
* Most women have made the decision on whether or not to breastfeed by the time they are pregnant, but they do this based on: inaccurate information, fears of pain, misconception that formula is equal to breastmilk.
* Fomula companies make at least $2billion annually.
* It’s important, beautiful and amazing.