Artfest, oh man, it was a blast. A wonderful, creative, inspiring and exhausting retreat.
I am tired now. A good, happy, content kind of tired. So I will break up my big adventure into small pieces, posting over several days. I hope you don’t mind.
* Port Townsend was a beautiful place, as was Fort Worden.
* The weather was lovely. A wonderful break from my dry & warm climate.
* The accommodations were not as bad as I had heard, I think I may have been one of the lucky ones. Good linen, soft pillow, comfortable cozy room, warm water for showering. It was all good.
* I bought the the entire meal package and was not disappointed by the delicious vegetarian/vegan options.
* I’ve never met so many talented, warm, caring and creative people in one spot before. They really helped carry me through a wonderful experience.
Tracy Moore wrote in our handbook, “I truly believe that the pure creative and positive energy that emanated from every person here turns each potential disaster into an incredible uplifting experience.” This is so true. I had a rough travel day, with a 40 minute delay, which almost lost me my shuttle ride to Artfest. Fortunately, I caught my ride while everyone patiently waited for me to get my luggage. So nice. I also lost my phone, and some kind soul found it and turned it into lost and found. The kindness of everyone was overflowing.
Having to completely step outside of my comfort zone, I was very nervous about going alone. I’m slow to warm when meeting new people. I was painfully shy as a child and that uncomfortable awkward feeling started working its way in. Being there sort of felt like going to college, not knowing anyone, trying to figure out who to sit with, what to say and do… Trying not to be a complete dork. Those feelings remained throughout my trip, but it slowly eased and got much better. Everyone openly welcomed you at every turn. I met so many beautiful people, that I hope will be life long friends.
I have more pictures that I am slowly adding to my ARTFEST 2010 folder. You can see more of the fort there.