Tofu scramble is one of my favorite breakfast meals. Well, let’s just face it, I like to eat. Apparently I say that about every food I post. Ah well, it’s good stuff.
Tofu can really pack a nutritious punch to get you going in the morning. It is high in protein, calcium and iron, low in calories. It can be made savory or sweet and it takes on any flavors you add to it. It’s really good stuff and it can be a part of anyone’s healthy and varied diet. Anyone, meaning not just us vegans and vegetarians.
Here’s the recipe:
16 oz Extra firm tofu- organic
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp spike or vegit (or any other all-purpose seasoning)
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp tumeric
1/2 tsp cumin
1 tbsp nutritional yeast
Earth Balance buttery spread (optional)
1. Combine all spices and nutritional yeast in small bowl and set aside.
2. Heat oil in skillet on medium heat.
2. Drain tofu, roll it up in a clean kitchen towel and squeeze it until most of the fluid is squished out of it. Unroll towel directly into pan (an excellent tip from Vegan Yum Yum).
3. Heat tofu for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently to keep it from sticking too much to the pan (I don’t use non-stick)
4. Add spice mixture and stir thoroughly and continue cooking for a few more minutes.
5. Add a few teaspoons of earth balance and allow to melt, stirring to distribute evenly.
Enjoy with toast or in a tortilla with salsa. YUM!